By Julia Esguerra
Homemade Facial Mask Recipe for Sensitive Skin
Applying a face mask is one of the easiest ways you can get healthy, hydrated skin in just a few minutes. It’s a great form of self-care too, as face masks are usually aromatic and relaxing. There are a lot of different kinds in the market that targets specific skin concerns, like aging skin, dry skin, or acne-prone skin. After just 20-30 minutes, your skin will be feeling much softer, and you will look more well-rested.
Sometimes, it can get tricky to find face masks that are suitable for sensitive skin. There could be ingredients that you didn’t know you were allergic to in the packet, and it’s just not working out. Well, you don’t have to worry because it’s possible to create your face mask from simple ingredients in the kitchen!
Oatmeal and Yogurt Face Mask
Oatmeal and yogurt aren’t just filling breakfast meal options; they provide serious benefits for the skin as well.
Finely ground oatmeal is excellent for soothing irritated skin. It’s also a moisturizing agent due to its high levels of fat.
Bonus: If you’re acne-prone, oatmeal is known to contain “saponins,” an active ingredient that pulls out dirt from clogged pores. Yogurt, on the other hand, treats skin infections, corrects skin discoloration, and fights the signs of aging. Together with oatmeal, they make up a pretty neat face mask targeting many different concerns.
Here’s how to make the face mask:
- 2-3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of ground oatmeal
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of honey
- Get your bowl and pour your yogurt and oatmeal together.
- Using a spoon, beat the yogurt and oatmeal together until it forms a paste. Crush the oatmeal so that it mixes well with the yogurt.
- Optional: Add honey for anti-bacterial properties. It also helps form the paste texture.
- Once you’re done with your mixture, you can apply a thin layer to your face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. You can opt to leave it on for longer if it’s not dry yet.
- Use a steamed washcloth to gently remove the mask from your face.
- Store the remaining face mask in a sealed bowl and use for up to seven (7) days.
Pro Tip: Before you rinse, place a filter on your sink to avoid clogging the drain with oatmeal granules.
Since this is suitable for sensitive skin, you can use this mask every day until your mixture runs out. It costs less than buying commercial face masks out there and gives the same effect. It’s a win-win!
Just like buying skincare products from a store, it’s healthy to experiment with different products and find a cocktail of ingredients that suit your skin type best. There are slim chances that you will break out from this homemade mask, but you might not get the effect you want if you have more severe skin concerns. It’s best to consult a dermatologist so they can help you find the best skin care regimen for your particular skin concerns.
Do you have other D.I.Y. face mask ideas you’ve tried before that you want to share? Comment them down below!
To read more beauty & Wellness tips, check out our blog